Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 29 10:41:42 PST 2001

I am under the impression that the anti-war movement here in the San Francisco Bay Area is losing steam. I was wondering if others in other parts of the country are noticing the same thing.

Part of the problem here, or so it seems to me, is that the independent forces that made up the anti-globalization movement have not created a new "space for themselves. I keep hoping this will happen.

Instead for the moment we have pan-stalinist groups like Workers World and their front groups with their same old tired rhetoric who have claimed leadership of the movement here. I have no doubt that the US would like to take advantage of the 9/11 events to make Afghanistan safe for Unocal to run pipelines through Afghanistan (although it seems to me that more than likely they are just going to destabilize the region even more and harm Unocal's chances) but these groups like Workers World Party seem not to realize that 6000 people lost their lives on 9/11...In fact, I get the impression that they dont really give a shit...Their screams about the war on Afghanistan are justified but their silence about the 9/11 terrorist events is deplorable...and, furthermore, it will marginalize the anti-war movement further.

The first demo here had 10,000 people...the last one we had there were MAYBE 4000 (at best)...I went to a dismal teach-in this last Saturday that had maybe 150 people.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx