Fwd: Re: Milo

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 29 12:46:49 PST 2001

[sent to me rather than list - folks, please address things accurately]

From: comvox at flash.net To: owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com (lbo-talk-digest) Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:39:10 -0500

With respect to the recent HRW report "Under Orders: War Crimes in Kosovo", it seems to be being misrepresented:

--It specifically says that it is restricting its investigation of Serbian and Yugoslav government crimes to the period of NATO's air compaign, not that it is investigating earlier government activitiy. It does mention, however, that "Serious violations of international humanitarian law had accompanied all previous government offensives,."

--it talks about a specific campaign of expulsion of Kosovars, so I don't know how one can conclude from this that the NATO bombing was the main reason for the refugee crisis.

Some excerpts from the report's "executive summary" is included below:

"This report documents torture, killings, rapes, forced expulsions, and other war crimes committed by Serbian

and Yugoslav government forces against Kosovar Albanians between March 24 and June 12, 1999, the

period of NATO's air campaign against Yugoslavia. The report reveals a coordinated and systematic

campaign to terrorize, kill, and expel the ethnic Albanians of Kosovo that was organized by the highest levels

of the Serbian and Yugoslav governments in power at that time. "

And, with respect to the refugee crisis, it talks of expulsions and says that:

"No one predicted the speed and scale of the expulsions. Within three weeks of the start of NATO bombing,

525,787 refugees from Kosovo had flooded the neighboring countries, according to the United Nation High

Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). All told, government forces expelled 862,979 ethnic Albanians from

Kosovo, and several hundred thousand more were internally displaced, in addition to those displaced prior

to March 1999. More than 80 percent of the entire population of Kosovo-90 percent of Kosovar

Albanians-were displaced from their homes."

And it adds that: "The forced expulsion was well organized, which suggests that it had been planned in advance. "

--Joseph Green comvox at flash.net