Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Oct 29 14:49:40 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>
> >I missed the original post on this but I think that
> >the Buffalo activists are losing steam myself,
> >especially on the split between the war question.
> >There is talk of others forming "new" splinter
> >coalitions here as well.
>
> Enough splinters and you've got sawdust, which can be easily swept up
> with cigarette butts and all the other detritus. How sad.

Well, you are going to get splinters as long as those activists who oppose the war forget every lesson that they've learned from the past decade of protest. If they want to let the WWP/IAC folks lead the movement, then we're going to have to suffer through endless, boring events that have no militancy or direct action. If we're going to vote out democratic decision-making and let the anti-war group be run by a central committee, then we'll lose people who are treated like grunt workers. If we don't speak up about the sectarian opportunism that is being practiced by groups like the ISO, SWP, and IAC, then we'll end up helping them build their organizations, instead of building a network of groups, coalitions, and people who want to stop the war.

If local activists are losing steam and dropping out, it's because they've forgotten how the anti-globalization movements went about organizing its successful events. If you go back to the discredited methodology, then dont' be surprised if you lose steam and your protests suck.

Chuck0 Infoshop.org