Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Mon Oct 29 15:21:31 PST 2001

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >As Justin notes, there are plenty of pro forma statements at antiwar
> >rallies of regret at the deaths of Sept 11, but they sound half-hearted
> >even to my ears. To those angry enough to bomb starving Afganis, they
> >sound completely disingenuous in their sparceness.
> >
> Do9n't attribute this to me. I didn't say the remarks were pro forma or
> sparse. Maybe they were in NYC, or maybe Nathan would find them so in
> Chicago, and maybe some of the families of the Sept 11 victims would not be
> satisfied (and others might), but I heard strong, clear, unequivocal
condemnations..

---hey, we have nothing to apologize for. Most of the rallies have ahd relatives of the dead speaking out against the bombing of civilians as an 'anti-terrorism' strategy. Add onto that the number of people, at least in NYC, who have attended these rallies and known victims or are friends of relatives of the victims etc. etc.

Rosa Parks signed on early on to a petition against the war...why do we have to feel like our recognition of the pain of the survivors (which I believe should be made at rallies, sincerely made), no matter how eloquently made would be than transmitted to the public by the media? At rallies everyone could get on their knees and wail for half an hour and it wouldn't get reported...just like the relatives of victims who speak out against the bombing of civilians in Afghanistan, what they say doesn't get out in the media much too much either...don't fit da script...

Steve