Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Oct 29 16:21:43 PST 2001

At 06:57 PM 10/29/01 -0500, Max Sawicky wrote:
>One tiny addendum to peaceniks of all stripes.
>The idea of the movement--however you want to
>characterize it--as losing steam at this point
>is ridiculous.

i agree. but, i think people are just looking for a place to vent and allow themselves to feel a little despair. that ought to be allowed. LBO can be like the teacher's lounge every so often; won't hurt if we can take it with a grain of salt. it's also a way of checking with others to see what else is happening. yes, the anti war movement years ago took quite awhile to get off the ground. but then, it's a bit ahistorical to look to that experience and apply it now, without revisions: a lot of things are very different. that doesn't mean we should give it up, just try to learn what can and, at the same time, try to experiment with new ideas, practices, etc:

"Edward Luttwak in his 1997 text Strategy: The Logic of War and Peace wrote: "War, in common with sport, has the characteristic that what worked well yesterday may not work well tomorrow, precisely because it worked yesterday."

political practice is war by another means: welcome to tomorrow.

kelley