good news

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Tue Oct 30 06:51:04 PST 2001

Hi Listers,

Just want to point out that while the WWP/IAC were initially -- and in my view, unfortunately, for all the reasons Nathan and ChuckO have mentioned -- the most prominent anti-war "coalitions," they certainly don't control the movement anymore. Not on campuses, not in numerous IAC-free coalitions in cities and communities nationwide, not among religious types and not among people of color and immigrants working against the war in their own communities.

WWP is still more visible than I'd like, but I agree with Paulsen's comment that some on the list are exaggerating its power. The eclipsing of the WWP doesn't mean that the anti-war movement doesn't still have a lot of the same problems it did; one of reasons the WWP bothers some of us so much is that its flaws aren't unlike much of the rest of the left, just in a more exaggerated cartoonish form (bland mechanistic slogans, boring protests, cookie-cutter analysis, self-marginalization). Still, the emergence of all these other elements in the anti war movement is a very good thing.

Liza