lbo-talk-digest V1 #5178

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Oct 30 07:26:20 PST 2001

Daniel Davies wrote:

>My personal bias, as you correctly detected, is that individuals can
>outperform institutions systematically under conditions of pressure.

I've been amazed over the last few days by Washington's amazement at the tenacity of the Taliban and by U.S. forces' failure to get any useful intelligence in their ground raid the other day. Any reasonably literate newspaper reader could have predicted both. Is it groupthink that led them to these idiotic expectations? Racist underestimates of the foe? What?

Doug