Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:34:33 PST 2001

>From: "C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>
>
>On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > ... from David Brooks in the current Weekly Standard: [etc.]
>
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Subject: Re: Antiwar movement losing steam?????
>Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 00:49:21 -0600
>
>"Dangerous lunacy," indeed. But in fact familiar: I'm sure you could find
>its analogue in many German publications at the end of the thirties. --CGE

What amazes me is what a complete change in persona David Brooks has undergone. Just months ago, he was Mr. Witty Conservative, making droll observations in Bobos in Paradise, which one reviewer (typifying general reaction) described as "brilliant, breezy, and often hilarious." Now, suddenly, Brooks is this snarling, id-driven creature flinging feces all around him. What seems to me apparent in the most extreme advocates of military intervention is stark terror that appears unmerited by the facts. It can well be argued that the hawks are the real cowards in this whole affair.

Carl