Antiwar movement losing steam?????

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 30 09:01:47 PST 2001

At 04:42 PM 10/30/01 +0000, Justin Schwartz wrote:
> But it carries in these contexts a powerful charge of chauvinism, USA
> #1, My Country Right or Wrong, America Love It Or Leave It, Fuck You
> Commie Pinko Peacenik. The CPUSA tried this under the Pop Front
> ("Communism is 20th Centuty Americanism"), and see where it got them.

yeap. this is why nearly every person with a flag on their car or on their window in my apt complex (and, as my son reminds me, we live in the ghetto) are sported by, you got it, non whites. there are exactly 2 white families here with flgs on a car or door/window. there are 14 bldgs, 24 units each. of course, the apt complex is about 10% white, 30% latino and 60% black, so that's to be expected.

when i drove around to other neighborhoods, regardless of racial composition/class significations, i don't see many more flags than we have here. given the ubiquity of the newspaper full page flags that can be posted on windows, it'd say that, were the patriotic inclined, they would have put one in their windows. hell, when Syracuse when to the play offs, every godamned window was plasterd with orange signs supporting the Orange. way more than there are flags in windows or doors or hanging from poles.

when i drive to and from my son's school each day, i keep track of the flags on cars and the race of the driver. i see that patriotism seems to flow pretty evenly--proportionate to the racial composition of the area, at any rate.

so, i think it'd probably be a really good idea to actually ask people what they mean when they fly the flag. i'll bet it doesn't have much to do with anything you've attributed to the symbol.

kelley