[Fwd: Re: book: wittgenstein's poker]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 30 12:31:38 PST 2001

Russell won a Nobel Prize for Literature. Quine, Davidson, and Rorty are all excellent stylists--short on clarity, perhaps, and in Quine's case a bit precious, but craftsmanlike. My old dissertation adviser Allen Gibbard writes beautiful, accessible, easy-to read prose. The prose of the old positivists--Carnap, Hempel, Reichenbach--has a certain diamond-hard elegance; it's not pretty, but it's so crystalline and clear that that is a sort of beauty. So style is not alien to AP. However, the Tractarian W would have vehenmently rejectedthe idea that he was an AP, which at thetime would have meant part of Moorea nd Russell's kick vs. British Hegelianism. jks