Hydrocarbons and a New Strategic Region: The Caspian Sea and Central Asia (and Al Saud)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 12:08:57 PST 2001

--- Hakki Alacakaptan <nucleus at superonline.com> wrote:

----
> The US in 1996 considered the Taliban not only an
> "ally" in the War on
> Drugs, but as a bulwark against international
> terrorism.

Where did this idea come from? From the Rashid book, I got the idea that the US didn't really look into these things and certainly the Taliban while prohibiting domestic use of drugs actually encouraged poppy farmers to export.

It seems to me that the US was not at all interested in curbing the Taliban at all until the US feminist movement put pressure on to criticize the Taliban. Before that, the US was just focused on getting pipelines through Afghanistan.

It also seems that everything fell apart on the Unocal afghanistan project and the caspian sea route through Turkey was decided upon.

What is the status of the trans-caspian pipelines today? Would anyone, like the World Bank, be willing to fund a pipeline through Afghanistan in the near future...even if a new government is put into place?

Why would Russia be so willing to help the United States, if it was the US motive to help the unocal consortium or another run pipelines through Afghanistan (thus bypassing russian jurisdiction)...Why wouldn't Turkmenistan , Kadjhakistan, etc not choose to just run the pipelines through Iran or through China (Iran and Russian seem the safest routes)? Is their alliance with the US based solely on the desire to stop the destabilizing features of the Taliban inspired islamicists and to stop the black market profiteers originating out of Afghanistan?

Thomas

Barnett Rubin, the
> [...]
> -----
> The US has smiled benignly on terror in Kashmir and
> Pakistan's thuggish and
> corrupt military leaders, because fractured, chaotic
> Pakistan could
> dangerously threaten US interests in the region.
> Among that constellation of
> interests is a long planned pipeline for natural
> gas. California Petrogiant
> Unocal heads up a consortium that wants to build a
> pipeline for
> Turkmenistan's natural-gas, across Afghanistan and
> Pakistan, to the Indian
> Ocean.
>
> Iran has a competing proposal with more advantageous
> geography, but less
> advantage to the US economy.
>
> Business Week reported in October, 1996 that "Unocal
> Vice-President Marty F.
> Miller recently told the US Senate he's concerned
> that Iran, which wants to
> sell gas to Pakistan and has a competing pipeline in
> the works, will
> 'promote conflict in order to advance their own
> economic interests.' Still,
> senior Unocal execs in Islamabad hope the Taliban's
> grip on Afghanistan will
> bring stability."

> -----
>
> Here's another article, "Gas, Oil, and Afghanistan",
> of which I've posted
> the link at least twice and you obviously haven't
> read:
>
> http://members.localnet.com/~jeflan/jfafghanpipe.htm
>
> Excerpts:

> -----
> By early 1998 a Unocal led consortium had made a
> deal with the Taliban to
> construct an Afghanistan pipeline from Turkmenistan
> to Pakistan. The Bridas
> Group cried foul and launched legal action against
> Unocal, to no avail.
>
> On the question of the Afghanistan route VOA's
> Beecher says that........
>
> "the most obvious drawback of a proposed pipeline
> from Turkmenistan, through
> Afghanistan, to Pakistan and down to the Arabian Sea
> is that there is still
> a civil war going on in Afghanistan.
>
> Nevertheless, all factions in the civil war have
> signed agreements
> supporting the proposed pipeline, according to Bob
> Todor, executive vice
> president of Unocal, the company that is leading an
> international consortium
> to construct the central Asian pipeline through
> Afghanistan.
> (...)
> Among the many advantages of the Afghanistan route,
> according to Mr. Todor,
> is that it would terminate in the Arabian Sea, which
> is much closer than the
> Persian Gulf or northern China to key Asian markets:
>
> "There is tremendous international and regional
> political will behind the
> pipeline. The pipeline is beneficial to Central
> Asian countries because it
> would allow them to sell their oil in expanding and
=== message truncated ===

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx