Hiawatha Bray on Bombing (response to Howard)

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 31 13:51:06 PST 2001

At 04:24 PM 10/31/01 -0500, Jerri Pries wrote:
>I am a tech CEO

WOW! impressive.

i assume you mention a rather pointless title because you misunderstood my response to doug. the point wasn't that CEOs read him about technology. it was a point about voicing his political opinions at a list that has a wide subscribership (among whom are CEOs of major tech corporations, not just dot cons). IP is a who's who of the tech world and it's one of the first places where people send their news. Further, from what i've seen (at least in the security industry), positions on the war have been much more subdued and even level headed. Gene Spafford's statement was a good example. Bray's jingoism was astonishing by comparison. That he's black means his position is all the more symbolic and attended to.

>who can tell you that while his words are read ... as is just about
>everything else written about tech (hell, you might see your name or
>company mentioned!) ... his opinions are not as widely respected as you think.

i didn't say they were _widely_ respected. i've mainly seen him referenced as one of the more prominent black men in the field of technology writing.

If you need, I can get out the Snit Dick-Sling-o-meter for your encore.