Fwd: This is Not Just Another E-mail

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Oct 31 14:41:27 PST 2001

X-From_: bounce-peoplepower-116468 at ls.aflcio.org Wed Oct 31 17:35:39 2001 Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 17:48:38 -0500 Subject: This is Not Just Another E-mail To: dhenwood at panix.com From: Working Families e-Activist Network <peoplepower at aflcio.org> List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:leave-peoplepower-116468X at ls.aflcio.org> Reply-To: "e-Activist Administrator" <response at aflcio.org>

This is not just another e-mail because what we are writing about today is not just another issue. Our nation is in the midst of two crises: Terrorism threatens our security and economic recession threatens the livelihoods and health of millions of workers and their families. Republicans in Congress are blocking needed worker relief and a sound economic growth proposal in favor of more handouts to the rich and corporations.

More than 638,000 layoffs have been announced since Sept. 11, but Congress left workers out of its airline bailout bill. The House passed an economic recovery package stuffed with Big Business tax breaks but not a penny for laid-off workers. Now the fight turns to the U.S. Senate. The Senate vote on our nation's economic future is likely to happen sometime in the next several days---while laid-off workers wait for desperately needed help.

You're more powerful than you think. Take one minute right now to make your voice heard.

Call your senators at 1-800-718-1008.

Urge them to support a relief package that includes unemployment and health care benefits for laid-off workers.

Because this issue is so important, we need you to take some extra time to also send a fax to your U.S. senator from the AFL-CIO website by clicking on the link below right now.

http://www.aflcio.org/redirect.pl?id=116468&msg=13433&url=/e/11.htm

Please forward this e-mail to people you know who might be interested.

For more information visit http://www.aflcio.org/