CNN Chief Orders 'Balance' in War News

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 31 16:27:15 PST 2001

By Howard Kurtz Washington Post Staff Writer Wednesday, October 31, 2001; Page C01

The chairman of CNN has ordered his staff to balance images of civilian devastation in Afghan cities with reminders that the Taliban harbors murderous terrorists, saying it "seems perverse to focus too much on the casualties or hardship in Afghanistan."

In a memo to his international correspondents, Walter Isaacson said: "As we get good reports from Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, we must redouble our efforts to make sure we do not seem to be simply reporting from their vantage or perspective. We must talk about how the Taliban are using civilian shields and how the Taliban have harbored the terrorists responsible for killing close to 5,000 innocent people."

<snip>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A14435-2001Oct30.html

For archives see: http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/