BMW's foray into China's luxuery car production

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 09:50:53 PST 2001

China's impending entry to the World Trade Organisation, expected later this year, is expected to invite formidable new competition. Beijing will slash import tariffs on foreign cars to 25 per cent within five years, from 60-80 per cent now. (Reuters)

This certainly makes the 100% tariff on Japanese cars, mentioned in an article I posted a few days ago, seem less fantastic. I wonder what it's like having so many different car companies. Like are there niche favorites that have avid admirers.