Money

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 1 16:55:52 PDT 2001

> >But in reality, the government couldn't care less
> >whether or not anyone wants to buy its bonds. It
> >already has the money. All that's happening is that
> >people are exchanging a government obligation that
> >doesn't pay interest (money) for one that does
> >(bonds). If people would rather hold onto
> >non-interest bearing cash, why should the government
> >care?

The government should care because the preference for cash (over bonds) is not costless. In a growing economy, the cash preference may reflect expectations of debt-inflation, or help trigger it. In a slowing economy, the preference for cash over bonds leaves you with Japan.

I thought this kind of high-handed, technocratic rhetoric (let them eat dollars!) died in the 70's.

Christian