make-work (was Re: pre-Keynesian)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sun Sep 2 16:28:22 PDT 2001

Christian Gregory:
> Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you think that there is something
> ennobling or good about make work. I mean, given the choice between _not_
> working and receiving transfer payments and getting paid for meaningless
> work, I'd choose the former, just for the time to read, learn, and be
> politically active.

If you looked at the URL of that Gallup poll Doug posted, you might have observed one of the polls which indicated that a very large proportion of workers gain a sense of "identity" from their jobs which is as important, or maybe more important, than the money they get. I thought this was a very sad thing -- something like an old dog who is afraid to go out the door without leash and collar firmly attached and the master at hand. Think of it -- the sense of identity and self-worth of millions of people in the hands of an elite who have absolutely no use for them but the extraction of value. It shows how profound a revolution is necessary if we are ever to emerge from the shadows of slavery. And going by the Gallup poll, we've hardly scratched the surface.