make-work (was Re: pre-Keynesian)

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Mon Sep 3 17:16:23 PDT 2001

Smith's prescriptions for these ills are of debatable value, and extending them to our times is rash. Still, some things he said resonate across the centuries. Today's globalization, whatever its benefits, has a strange way of favoring the successors to those merchants and manufacturers who promoted mercantilism in Smith's day. Dani Rodrik, of the John F. Kennedy School of Government, at Harvard University, an economist who supports free trade, nevertheless concludes in a study of a large number of nations that "globalization reduces the ability of governments to spend resources on social programs; it makes it more difficult to tax capital; and a growing share of the tax burden is now carried by labor." <<<<

His merchantalism does sound like an early version of globalization. But if the modern era of globalization started in the 1960s, what caused it to be suppressed for 150 years? I have the impression that merchantalism faded at some point after Smith, and was revived in the 60s.

Also, am I correct in forming the impression that Smith had no problem with trade per se, only the government's subsidy of it?