AUT: Washington DC: Who's Going & What Tactics

Tom Walker timework at vcn.bc.ca
Mon Sep 3 18:15:26 PDT 2001

Brigades?

Earlier today I sent an unrelated message to someone in which I mentioned the formation of sandwichboard brigades. This relates ultimately to Walter Benjamin's observation that the sandwichman was the last incarnation of the flaneur. Demos are a kind of flaneurie, aren't they?

My own sandwichboards are made of two 20" x 30" sheets of coroplast worn with two-inch wide, striped elastic straps over the shoulders and at the waist. Duct tape holds the whole thing together. I've got a surplus officer's cap to wear with the outfit. Looks sharp.

What to put on the signs: how about just "Press" (or alternatively "Media"). I know it's obscure, but again it refers to a Benjamin quote about "journalists in uniform", another late incarnation of the flaneur.

Tom Walker Bowen Island, BC 604 947 2213