epistolary economics

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Sep 4 17:46:34 PDT 2001

>Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>>This of course is what the very title of Hardt/Negri's _Empire_ denies.
>>The whole purpose of the book (insofar as it can be said to have any
>>purpose than using up some more paper pulp) is to submerge U.S.
>>imperialism within a gelatineous mass of "empire in the absract."
>
>So, Carrol - you read the book? Or is this just one of those
>"feelings" you profess to hate so much?
>
>Doug

There are also the repeated games of hide-the-ball--designed to make it hard for non-insiders to understand what is going on. For example, consider "In an extraordinary text written during his period of seclusion, Louis Althusser..." A more misleading circumlocution I have not seen since the days of Paul de Man's "wartime journalism"...

Brad DeLong