epistolary economics

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 5 04:12:22 PDT 2001

Carrol>Stuart Chase, Tyranny of Words John Gunther, Inside Europe Irving Babbitt, Rousseau & Romanticism Philip Wylie, Generation of Vipers Vance Packard, _______ (forget the title) Velikovsky, Worlds in Collision White or Whyte, Organization Man [forget his name], Greening of America Hardt/Negri, Empire Little Orphan Annie Forever Amber

Heh, "Generation of Vipers, " now that is a title long forgotten. Sold zillions in the Fifties. Sexist attack on Rosie the Riveter, no? http://www.centerforbookculture.org/dalkey/backlist/wylie.html http://www.centerforbookculture.org/context/no7/wylie.html Vance Packard wrote, "The Hidden Persuaders, " and many other pop sociology books. Cited by Marcuse in, "One Dimensional Man." http://www.google.com/search?q=Vance+Packard+ William Whyte, cited by Marcuse too. [forget his name], insert, Charles Reich, "The Greening of America." The most forgettable of a long series of books that sold bucketloads in the early 70's on the youth revolt. Read Theodore Roszak instead. Deeper, but not by much. "What We Read In The 60's, " Univ. of N. Carolina Press, I think. Carlos Castenada, Hermann Hesse... Michael Pugliese