Images of Palestinians in US media

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Wed Sep 5 07:48:46 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad DeLong" <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu>
>So why haven't Sabra and Shatila, or the routine bulldozing of
>houses, had a similar effect on Israel's image? Is it because the
>attentions of the image-shapers are, um, asymmetric, to use an
>economist's word?
>
>Doug

-Fewer videocameras.

Which is a key point- Israel kills quietly for specific political and military results, while the Palestinians bombers concentrate on generating horrific images. Both groups have been successful in their immediate goals in the past, although both seem to be largely backfiring now-- it's as if the fight is a campaign to see which side can discredit itself internationally more quickly. The Israelis are currently in the lead in destroying the vestiges of international support they had outside the US, but we will see what a few more well-placed bombs might do in assisting Israel's government.

-- Nathan newman