Capitalism Exploits Stupid Capitalists, new research shows

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 6 07:37:40 PDT 2001

At 07:06 AM 10/6/01 -0400, Nathan wrote:
>Here's a lovely argument, promoted by libertarian Virginia Postrel, that
>capitalism works by foolish entrepreneurs who overinvest their personal
>money at their own expense for the benefit of the rest of us.

In essence, the piece argues how the game is played i.e. that investors/gamblers' losses are society/gambling house's gains. But it does not explain how the wealth brought to this game is produced, unless we want to belive that ownership of assets rather than labor is the source of wealth.

Cassino capitalism can be played either with real wealth or Monopoly money - what makes the difference is not how the game the played, but what happens after it is over - the Monopoly money gets back to the Monopoly box and that ends the story, while in the real world some folks get rich while others go to flip burgers after their retirement pension plans have been virtually wiped out. The only real contribution this process makes to wealth production (as opposed to its generally upward redistribution) is to motivate the losers to go back to the real world and produce more wealth by extracting it from from one's own or other people's labor - either to survive or to bring it back to the gambling house.

wojtek