U.S. exports

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Thu Sep 6 14:59:30 PDT 2001

> ABSTRACT:
> Social assistance in Germany reduces the incentive to work. The
> U. S. Welfare to Work Programme tries to avoid such
> disincentives. It consists essentially of two elements: the
> Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for employees in low wage
> occupations and a Workfare model. The EITC and the Workfare
> model as implemented in the State of Wisconsin are described and
> analysed. Conclusions for welfare reform in Germany are drawn.

I was at a party last night and we all got to talking about the recent pole done by FHM magazine regarding men's treatment of women worldwide. The men of South Africa were ranked the greatest assholes in the world, Australians came in second, American men 3rd. German men, surprisingly, were ranked the nicest in the world to women. I expressed surprised, since German's have a reputation for arrogance, and a woman sitting next to me, who's been dating a German graduate student, said that German men have a kind of loud publicness to them but are actually quite relaxed in a relationship. Later on the conversation dwindled to just 3 of us and we were talking about how Germany is different from America. One of the people there said German men are the best paid men in the world. Is this true? (Just raw converted currency, not PPP numbers, not per capita numbers, not Euro numbers, not both genders, not counting taxes, not counting the percent of the people who actually work, just men, just those working, just a straight wage comparison, is it true that they are the best paid in the world?)