Jackson Hole query

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 6 17:26:55 PDT 2001

>ah bollocks. He ought to get off his high horse if that's what he
>thinks. All
>the necessary information to correct for proforma, stock options &c are out in
>the open, and anyone who has a mind to can prepare their own numbers to their
>own taste. If they can't be bothered to do so and just take the reported
>numbers at face value, that's a) a problem of effort or rationality, not
>information and b) their own lookout.

The fact is that the Silicon Valley companies that grant the options think it is *very* important that the fully-diluted numbers stay in small print at the back, think it is *very* important that they be able to focus their press releases on "pro forma" numbers, and that GAAP not be improved.

I was somewhat slightly bemused at the conference by the fact that my usually laissez faire-loving ex-roommate Andrei Shleifer felt so very strongly that the past two decades had seen a substantial degradation in the quality of the information on which the marginal investor is acting, and that this was a problem that required government action to solve.

But at the moment I am even more bemused.

In the phrase "their own lookout" I hear the echo of _Atlas Shrugged_. The thought of Alan Greenspan being outflanked on the Ayn Randite (Randish? Randian? Randist?) right by Daniel Davies...

:-)

Brad DeLong