men & women

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:35:04 PDT 2001

>This kind of reminds me of a little snippet from Marx...I forget WHERE it's
>from...but he said something about how, if you don't have that much time,
>one way to figure out the relative degree of civilization anywhere in the
>world, is to look at the relations obtaining between men and women.

It's in a later section of the Paris Manuscripts, actually a very interesting discussion about the plascicity of gender and sexual relations. Rather hard to reconcile with the survey he did for Eleanor, in which he stated that his favorite virtue in a woman was "submissiveness." Of course he may have been tweaking his not very submissive daughter. Dads have been known to do that.

--jks