On Your Back In The USSR

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 09:57:39 PDT 2001

Now, I can't claim to actually having engaged in sexual relations in the USSR or Russia, but when from my visit to Moscow and the Black Sea last September, I can report that the demographically wide swath of Russian society I was interacting with [civics educators] were probably among the warmest and most flirtatious folks I have met in my 48 years on this earth. One of the higher points of our trip was a sauna experience, which involves not simply the sauna itself, but a social evening interspersed with a dinner of various pickled fish and vegetables, and massages. We happened to have rented the sauna in what was Stalin's summer dacha, leading me to the claim, that Stalin made me sweat, but I lived to tell about it.

I also find somewhat interesting this notion of 'having sex,' as if it were a meal someone sat down to, and not an activity requiring the mutual participation of two people. Certainly it is true that there is a great deal of commercial sex in present day Russia [the market uber alles], and that even the best of hotel lobbies are filled with sex workers advertising their services. But I don't think that the individual who spoke of the quality of sex in the USSR had that particular form of exchange in mind.

I can report that Russian food was quite good, and that one of the more humorous moments of my trip was when I opened the menu in what had to be one of Moscow's finest restaurants to which our hosts had taken us, a menu which had been translated first from Russian to French, and then from French to English. One of the items: a game type dish described in English as "with Maggots."

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 212-98-6869

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --

.