men and women

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Sep 7 09:47:58 PDT 2001

At 02:22 AM 09/07/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm sure he was, Joanna - and what, pray, were the criteria by which we
>stand condemned? I ask because I am not having any great trouble coming up
>with lands in which I would less like to be a woman than in this one.

Oh, it's not that big a deal. I was responding to an anecdotal submission...with an anecdote.

Now stop and ask yourself what kind of defense it is to say, "you think you've got it bad here...try Afghanistan." ( I once had a man defend his behavior toward me by saying "I never hit you.") Yes, I do know that women have it worse, much worse in other countries. Does that mean I need to be a happy little slavey here?

The same argument could be used against the working class. It's generally worse for them in any non G7 country: does that mean that workers have no cause for complaint in the U.S.?

The only general observation I can make about American men is that they are affected by the usual American cultural poisons; for example, hatred of the body (except (maybe) as a perfect object).

Joanna Bujes