men and women

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 7 11:03:48 PDT 2001

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>What's interesting (if not surprising) is that while Americans, male
>or female, are on the average among the fattest of the world,
>American actors in Hollywood movies now display the best toned
>bodies of all movies of the world.

Fat is a class issue. I've heard it said - and though I haven't factchecked this, it sounds entirely right from what I've seen - that there isn't a single fat CEO of a Fortune 500 company. And contrast slender marathon runner Robert Rubin with the 300-lb steak and wine for breakfast J.P. Morgan. Urban yuppies of both sexes are generally fit; plumpies are rare.

Doug