men and women

David Jennings djenning at arches.uga.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:34:06 PDT 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Fat is a class issue. I've heard it said - and though I haven't
> factchecked this, it sounds entirely right from what I've seen - that
> there isn't a single fat CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

Here's what the eXile's Mark Ames has recently said on this question:

[...]

They're always alone, and amazingly fat, the people I work with. The white women all seem to shop at the same store; they wear the same nylon black or dark purple pants and untucked short-sleeved shirts or sleeveless blouses, their rolling fat arms stick almost straight out from the rolls of fat under their armpits, giving the optical illusion of stunted arms, like Augustus Galoope in mid-swell, or Tyrannosaurus Rex. There is a pain in their walk, the pain of bad circulation, of swollen veins, swollen feet, arthritic knees, hemorrhoids, and the weight of carrying these rolls of fat from one cell or cubicle to the next. I swear, I won't make fun of fat people again after what I've seen here in Kentucky. Fat is a synonym for poverty. It just means there's nothing else to live for but that tiny little buzz you get from fast food and sugar ingestion, because everything else is pure, unadulterated SHIT: the past, present and future, perfect and imperfect. So they hang out smoking outside, alone. Or by the vending machines near the mail room, where you can get everything from Pringles, Blimpie sandwiches and Dr. Pepper to Nestle chocolate crunch ice cream bars and hot buttered pop corn.

Out of fear, I have lost ten pounds since joining. But it's hardly consolation.

[ it continues: http://www.exile.ru/123/letter.php ]