Bond against _Empire_

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Sep 7 11:36:59 PDT 2001

> Radical Rhetoric and the Working Class during Zimbabwean
> Nationalism's Dying Days
>

> Contrary to Hardt and Negri, I will conclude that the appropriate
> normative formula is not the dismissal of state-sovereignty as a
> short-medium term objective of Third World progressive social
forces,
> but instead, aligned simultaneously with international popular
> struggles against the forces of Empire (both in Washington and
> transnational corporate headquarters), the rekindling of
nation-state
> sovereignty but under fundamentally different assumptions about
power
> relations and development objectives than during the nationalist
> epoch. Such power relations can probably only be changed
sufficiently
> if the multitudes contest those comprador forces who run virtually
> all their nation-states. To do so, I submit, will require the
> articulation of a multifaceted post-nationalist political programme,
> grounded in post-neoliberal economic formulations....
>
> [The full article is available at

<http://csf.colorado.edu/jwsr/archive/vol7/number1/bond/index.shtml>.]

Do we really want *more* US nationalism and the accompanying Realist approach to IR? We'll see stuff that will make 1945-the present look like kid stuff. That's what we'll get if there's a new, improved, neo-nationalism in the 'South', an even nastier US.

Ian