Conference on Racism: Jewish Caucus Statement

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 12:38:38 PDT 2001

If one did not know the actual history here, one might think from Matthew's account that Zionists just waited around until the end of WWII and the beginning of the period of national independence and decolonization to get in on the fun of starting a colonial settler state. Something took place in the decade leading up to 1945 which impacted particularly upon Jews, and that something is related to bringing Zionism from the margins to the center of the Jewish Diaspora, and to the founding of the state of Israel. But since the European crescendo of genocide against its Jews did not climax until this decade, we should exempt all of the earlier European settler states from Matthew's strictures, and yet include Israel??? Only the one "settler" nation-state founded by victims of European genocide must be dissolved??? This logic is a form of posthumous revenge for the architects of the Holocaust.

And while we are on the subject of European colonial settler states, it might be well pointed out that what truly distinguishes Israel from European settler states from Kenya and Zimbabwe to Canada and the US, from Chile and Argentina to the New Zealand and Australia is: (1) that Jews had historically originated in Palestine, and many still lived there; and (2) Jewish settlers came not only from Europe, but from across the Middle East, where they were expelled in the tens of thousands by the same Arab states that now chant "Zionism is racism," and from Africa. These are the dirty little details that are hidden under the sweeping generalizations of a "mostly" European settler state...

>Re Leo's post:
>
>What makes 1945 important is that while the rest of the world was moving
>toward political independence for those nations colonized as part of a
>most horrible and regrettable European colonialist capitalist history, one
>small area moved in exactly the opposite direction. Actually, Kenya was
>colonized formally after 1900, and one could cite South African formal
>apartheid era as after that time as well (though how different formal
>apartheid was from what was going on in South Africa prior could be
>debated). But Kenya achieved political independence in the early 1960s and
>the apartheid regime fell in 1990. But at least we are in agreement that
>Israel, like Rhodesia, South Africa, Kenya, and as you cite, the U.S.,
>Canada, Asutralia, New Zealand, etc., is a settler colonialist state.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 212-98-6869

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --

.