Lenin and Sex

Chris Brooke chris.brooke at magdalen.oxford.ac.uk
Fri Sep 7 14:37:41 PDT 2001

Thomas wrote:

>Well, you know the anecdote about Lenin and
>Allesandra Kolonntai. At a meeting, the question of
>the proleterian attitude towards sex came up.
>
>Kolonntai argued that having sex should be like
>drinking water. To which Lenin replied, "Yes,
>but that does not mean that everone should drink from
>the same glass."

I think Clara Zetkin, not Kollontai, is the source of this story, in her pamphlet "Reminiscences of Lenin". Bits of it are reprinted in Robert Tucker's "Lenin Anthology", and the passage on "glass of water" theory is pp.692-3.

Lenin: "I consider the famous 'glass of water' theory as completely unMarxist and, moreover, as anti-social... To be sure, thirst has to be quenched. But would a normal person normally lie down in the gutter and drink from a puddle? Or even from a glass that has been greased by many lips?...", and so on.

Chris