Bond against _Empire_

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 7 17:19:45 PDT 2001

Ian Murray wrote:

> Do we really want *more* US nationalism and the accompanying Realist
> approach to IR? We'll see stuff that will make 1945-the present look
> like kid stuff. That's what we'll get if there's a new, improved,
> neo-nationalism in the 'South', an even nastier US.

Sometimes you are a bit too terse Ian -- I'm not sure I follow this.

Third world peoples cannot make soothing U.S. feelings a major (or even a minor) consideration, and it the function of u.s. leftists, not of third-world movements, to fight u.s. nationalism. What you seem to be saying is that no one should attempt to resist u.s. imperialism, because that will make the imperialists angry and they will do nasty things. I know that isn't your meaning -- but what are you saying?

Carrol