nference on Racism:Jewish Caucus Statement

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 7 17:46:44 PDT 2001

Max Sawicky wrote:

> Iraq certainly put the right of Kuwait to exist into
> question by invading it, but I fail to recall any of the
> protestors against the Gulf War (incl myself) questioning
> the right to sovereignty of Kuwait.

We built a fairly strong anti-Gulf War movement here in Bloomington-Normal, and at most of our rallies and forums the prevailing position of the speakers was that Kuwait was an artificial construct with no right to exist as a state. I would still argue that. Its only reason for existing is to deny Iraq access to the sea. That was the reason England created it a century more or less ago. The very existence of Kuwait is an infringement on Iraq's sovereignty.

Carrol