men and women

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 18:41:33 PDT 2001

Whoops, meant to send this under the heading "men & women". Also should have noted that (depending on the study you read), 50-60% of American adults are classified as "overweight", and about 14-1/3 as "obese". And rather than "the richer, the thinner" it's probably more correct to say that it's statistically more likely that someone lower on the wealth scale will be overweight, and someone higher on the scale thin. Exceptions abound, however.

<<Sure, fat's a class issue. I did some research on this in school, and while I don't remember where I got the info, my general recollection is that it was especially true for women: the richer, the thinner and the poorer, the fatter. For men, it was a little more ambiguous, i.e. the statistical pattern wasn't as clear-cut. But I'd guess it is becoming more clear-cut for men over time. One of the reasons I think so is the way men's magazines have increasingly come to mirror women's magazines over time - increasingly focused on image management, household and personal goods that can be bought to create a desired image, and the improvement of the body through diet, exercise, toiletries, etc.

I also remember that it was not ever thus; it used to be (seems like the transition was somewhere between 1940's - 1970's) that the poor tended to be thinner and the rich fatter - again, with women being more the exemplary case.

<< ate: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 14:03:48 -0400

From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

Subject: Re: men and women

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>What's interesting (if not surprising) is that while Americans, male

>or female, are on the average among the fattest of the world,

>American actors in Hollywood movies now display the best toned

>bodies of all movies of the world.

Fat is a class issue. I've heard it said - and though I haven't

factchecked this, it sounds entirely right from what I've seen - that

there isn't a single fat CEO of a Fortune 500 company. And contrast

slender marathon runner Robert Rubin with the 300-lb steak and wine

for breakfast J.P. Morgan. Urban yuppies of both sexes are generally

fit; plumpies are rare.

Doug >>