men and women

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 7 18:53:28 PDT 2001

Obesity certainly is a factor increasing the risk of Type II (non-insulin-dependent diabetes). Obesity in turn is a function of lifestyle and diet but it is hardly true to say that the diet was forced upon aboriginals. It is not as if non-traditional diets that would not produce obesity were not available. Aboriginal women are more likely to get type ii diabetes than men generally. However, age is an even more significant factor. Type ii diabetes in all populations is a disease of older persons. By the way Inuit have lower rates of diabetes even than the general population and much lower than other northern aboriginal peoples. Genetic factors also seem to play a role. The picture is quite complex. Although generally the less 'isolated" aboriginal populations have higher rates, several Canadian studies show higher rates on reserves than in aboriginals living in cities. Studies also show that aboriginal groups living close to one another and in similar conditions may have quite different rates of diabetes.

For detailed studies see:: http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/bceio/DR_paper.html

Cheers, Ken Hanly

P.S. But what if people consider having higher risks of kidney failure, eye problems, and all the complications associated with type II diabetes as normal? Arent you using fitness and lower risks as normal and more desireable. This is to privilege the lower risks associated with the fit non-diabetic and hence to negatively evaluate the diabetic against the non-diabetic life. Your type of argumentation seems to have a family resemblance to what some disability activists would call ableist. Is there any significant difference? Believing that disabilities should be "cured" or that the disabled should be aided to do that which the able can do as much as possible and that one should feel sorry for those with disabilities, and so on are all part of the ableist ideology that sees disabled lives negatively, that we should feel sorry for the disabled, and although not all disabilities are curable we should try to ensure that the disabled can become as much like the able as possible--through technology etc.

----- Original Message ----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 3:06 PM Subject: Re: men and women