Conference on Racism:Jewish Caucus Statement

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Fri Sep 7 19:44:42 PDT 2001

Yoshie:
> The "peace process" was neither just nor even expedient for the Palestinians
> and for that matter Israelis. Oppressing another people imposes costs on
> those who are made to do the dirty work of repression, first of all
> military duties -- no piece of cake. More and more Israelis as well as
> Americans, I hope, will reject the high costs of maintaining occupation.

The peace process is a process, and not an event. There is a state of war, and there are attempts to end that state of war through the establishment of peace. There is no alternative to continued, fruitless and destructive sectarian violence in Israel and Palestine but a peace process. Israeli Jews will not be driven into the sea, and Palestinians will not disappear into surrounding Arab states, no matter what irredentists of every stripe insist.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --