lbo-talk-digest V1 #4825

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Sat Sep 8 04:19:01 PDT 2001

Leo Casey said: Now, I can't claim to actually having engaged in sexual relations in the USSR or Russia, but when from my visit to Moscow and the Black Sea last September, I can report that the demographically wide swath of Russian society I was interacting with [civics educators] were probably among the warmest and most flirtatious folks I have met in my 48 years on this earth. One of the higher points of our trip was a sauna experience, which involves not simply the sauna itself, but a social evening interspersed with a dinner of various pickled fish and vegetables, and massages. We happened to have rented the sauna in what was Stalin's summer dacha, leading me to the claim, that Stalin made me sweat, but I lived to tell about it.

I say: I would never leave Russia. These are people who have lost everything in the past 10 years, and still manage to go through life with dignity and friendliness, even to Americans like me, people from a country they despise. Americans kill themselves if they lose their fucking condos. Jesus.

P.S. Russian culture is very warm and very flirtatious, but that doesn't mean it's promiscuous. Most Russians are pretty conservative.

Chris Doss The Russia Journal