ISRO chief defends moon mission

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Sun Sep 9 18:40:01 PDT 2001

Sunday 24 June 2001

ISRO chief defends moon mission

NEW DELHI: A top space scientist has defended Indian Space Research Organisation's (ISRO) decision to send a mission to the moon saying even fundamental questions regarding moon's origin had not yet been answered and such mysteries needed to be explained. Delivering a lecture on "The space challenge and the moon mission," here on Friday, chairman of ISRO K Kasturirangan said there were three hypothesis regarding the origin of the moon but none could present a satisfactory explanation. "Moreover, the polar regions of the heavenly body have been much less explored as its equatorial regions," he said adding the former regions had characteristics very different from the latter. Kasturirangan said "the possible existence of hydrogen on the pole is a tantalising possibility which needs to be explored." Denying the possibility of landing on moon, he said "with the type of spacecraft technology we possess, we can send instruments in the vicinity of the moon to study it." On the future strategy regarding lunar missions, he said there would be three missions to the moon. Mission-I would be a polar orbiter to perform experiments with x-rays and gamma imaging, besides studying the dust on the moon, he said. Mission-II, a lunar lander, will search for water on South Pole. It will also carry out magnetic and seismic studies and chemical study of South Pole, he said adding "subsequently MISSION-III will be launched to bring a core sample from the South Pole." (PTI)

For reprint rights:Times Syndication Service