Tu Quoque Re: Conference on Racism: Jewish Caucus Statement

Todd Archer arch0005 at algonquincollege.com
Mon Sep 10 06:10:53 PDT 2001

Leo said:

>Now it appears that Todd is
>characterizing my argument as one sowing 'dissent' on the left, an >accusation
>that I have always found somewhat amusing, since it involves the rather >clear
>assumption that some have some God-given right to decide what the >'left'
>position is, to which others must then conform in order not to sow >'dissent.'

Leo, please read my post; I took you to task for making an ad hominem attack on Yoshie which also smeared her with an almost McCarthy-esque innuendo. What is she "extraordinarily suspected" of doing/being? Anti-Semitic? Am I now, in your eyes?

Furthermore, I attacked you using your own weapons (e.g. you "being in someone's pocket", a ludicrous charge, but how do you like getting tarred with the same brush, even if it's for demonstrative purposes only) to show you how stupid and hateful such an act looks from the receiving end.

You go on:

>I have always thought, by contrast, that dissent is an essential >element of
>democratic discourse, and couldn't care less whether or not Carrol or >Yoshie
>is sowing 'dissent,' just whether or not they are right.

Have your freedom of speech, Leo; just don't yell "Fire!" in such a crowded movie theatre as this one.

Todd