"jobless rate"

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Mon Sep 10 16:33:33 PDT 2001

The BLS wrote:

>The number of unemployed persons increased by more than half a million
>to nearly 7 million in August. The unemployment rate rose by 0.4
percentage
>point to 4.9 percent, seasonally adjusted, the highest level since
September
>1997. The jobless rate had been about 4.5 percent since April; its
most
>recent low was 3.9 percent in October 2000. The rates for most major
worker
>groups were up over the month.

I thought the "jobless rate" included discouraged workers and involuntary part-timers? Does this mean that those using that term chose one that the BLS uses as a synonym for the unemployment rate and the BLS uses a term as a synonym that they are aware us being used as an alternative indicator. I have seen what I defined as the jobless rate also called the "marginalization rate" I believe (by Boston, R. Williams).