Bond against _Empire_

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Sep 10 17:45:36 PDT 2001

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>How can "a bunch of countries" make an alliance, "take a common
>>stance with their creditors, make some serious attempt at
>>developing serious economic and social links, and arrange some sort
>>of trading system with a division of labor" without states?
>
>States, plural. I don't like states, and look suspiciously on any
>proposal that would increase their power, even when they're coming
>from "our" side. But they exist (like Israel exists) and they're not
>going away anytime soon. So we make the best of that situation we
>can. What's I'd like to see is for people to begin thinking and
>acting beyond national boundaries, and the kind of cross-border
>links I'm talking about is one way. And if these links serve in the
>long term to undermine nation-states, so much the better.
>
>Doug

How does that differ from the Bond program against the Empire (& _Empire_ by H & N) theoretically and practically?

***** Contrary to Hardt and Negri, I will conclude that the appropriate normative formula is not the dismissal of state-sovereignty as a short-medium term objective of Third World progressive social forces, but instead, aligned simultaneously with international popular struggles against the forces of Empire (both in Washington and transnational corporate headquarters), the rekindling of nation-state sovereignty but under fundamentally different assumptions about power relations and development objectives than during the nationalist epoch. Such power relations can probably only be changed sufficiently if the multitudes contest those comprador forces who run virtually all their nation-states. To do so, I submit, will require the articulation of a multifaceted post-nationalist political programme, grounded in post-neoliberal economic formulations....

[The full article is available at <http://csf.colorado.edu/jwsr/archive/vol7/number1/bond/index.shtml>.] *****

Yoshie