anniversary coincidence?

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Sep 11 10:22:34 PDT 2001

At 10:08 AM 9/11/01 -0700, alex lantsberg wrote:
>KFPA has been reporting that today is the anniversary of the 1978(?)
>signing of the camp david accords. any theories on the possible tie in?

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Peace/cddays.html

September 11, 1978

At 3:00 AM, the meeting ended with the Israelis promising they would produce recommended changes to the American proposal by 8:00AM. After making revisions responding to the Israeli position, President Carter presented a revised American proposal to Sadat. Brzezinski wrote in his journal, I am fearful that we have revised it to a point that may make it difficult for Sadat to accept our document. Carter relies heavily on his special relationship with Sadat to bring him around to a more compromising point of view, and I hope he can pull it off. Sadat offered that he would be willing to allow the Israeli settlers to remain in the Sinai for three years and he might consider allowing Israelis to control two of the airfields in the Sinai for the same length of time. The Americans cannot reveal this position, though. Sadat would discuss the draft with his colleagues. While the Egyptians discussed the proposal, Vance and the President both explored potential avenues of agreement with the Israelis. Vance and Dayan explored a potential Sinai agreement. Carter met with Weizman and Tamir to review the Sinai situation. The eventual Egyptian position taken that day turned out more pessimistic than Sadat's original reaction. Foreign Minister Kamil argued that Sadat's tendency to overlook how details would undermine his position in Egypt and the Arab world had led to Sadat's original optimism. In fact, though, Kamil argued the proposal was unacceptable to Egypt in a number of ways. In late night discussions with Dayan and Barak, the President discerned that they were adopting a more positive and compromising position.