Hi-jack fall-out

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:48:00 PDT 2001

>>>If there's nothing to celebrate, how can a celebration be understandable?
>>
>>The U.S. has killed people for decades at almost no risk to itself.
>>It's supported the most murderous, repressive regimes imaginable.
>>Can't you imagine how some of its victims could feel a little
>>Schadenfreude?
>>
>>Doug
>
>No. I genuinely don't understand how anyone can think that killing a
>secretary working on the 80th floor of the World Trade Center hurts
>some organism called "the U.S." that, say, assisted Pinochet...
>

>Brad DeLong

Moral grandstanding may be enjoyable, Brad, but it gets in the way of being able to empathize with people who do feel glee that two prime symbols of US power -- the World Trade Center and the Pentagon -- have been devastated, no matter what the human cost. Desperate people do desperate things. Unless we make an honest effort to understand their desperation and act to relieve it, we will continue to suffer from "senseless" crimes like this.

Carl