Robert Fisk on terrorist attack

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 11 23:16:35 PDT 2001

>From the Independent, "The awesome cruelty of a doomed people":

"No, there is no doubting the utter, indescribable evil of what has happened in the United States. That Palestinians could celebrate the massacre of 20,000, perhaps 35,000 innocent people is not only a symbol of their despair but of their political immaturity, of their failure to grasp what they had always been accusing their Israeli enemies of doing: acting disproportionately. But we were warned. All the years of rhetoric, all the promises to strike at the heart of America, to cut off the head of 'the American snake' we took for empty threats. How could a backward, conservative, undemocratic and corrupt group of regimes and small, violent organisations fulfil such preposterous promises? Now we know."

Full text: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=93623

Carl