Hi-jack fall-out

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 11 18:16:39 PDT 2001

All the media headlines talk about an attack on the US. And on great abstractions like freedom and democracy. But of course freedom and democracy have stronger foundations than the world trade center buildings namely Bush, the military, and all the other pillars of capitalism. Oh, and the steely resolve of the US people as Bush pointed out. You dont understand the media either I suppose? It hurt the US by showing that it is not invulnerable to attack and its symbols can be destroyed. It subjects the citizens of that "organism" to the sort of devastation that the US and its agents have perpetrated but without any worry about retaliation.

How could bombing a secretary working in a media building in Belgrade hurt an organism called Serbia?

You would think that what happened might cause Americans to ask themselves why some people hate them so much they are willing to lay down their lives and kill innocent people to express that hatred. Of course that wont happen. Outrage, moralising, repression, reprisals and revenge will be the order of the day. Already there seem to be explosions in Kabul.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Brad DeLong <jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 3:23 PM Subject: Re: Hi-jack fall-out