Hi-jack fall-out

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 23:28:26 PDT 2001

> >Look: 50000 people worked in those buildings. If half were trapped, we
> >have 25000 dead. If 1/3 were trapped, we have 17000 dead.
> >
> >It takes time to evacuate: those people didn't have much time.
> >

> >Brad DeLong

Fifty thousand refers to the whole complex including the shops and underground station. More like ten thousand per tower in the actual buildings. Three hours is plenty of time to evacuate a building for the people below the flames.

The casualties will still be horrendous, but I would think that 25k is very much on the high side.

d^2

===== ... in countries which do not enjoy Mediterranean sunshine idleness is more difficult, and a great public propaganda will be required to inaugurate it. -- Bertrand Russell