the dot.com boom, butterfly ballots and airport security

Tom Walker timework at vcn.bc.ca
Wed Sep 12 06:24:03 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote,

>How does it work? We count every person killed in the world by the US,
>subtract our casualties in that time, and terrorists have a free "kill every
>Yankee they want" card until the global quota to even things up is reached?

Nathan, I get the impression that you are reading something sinister into other people's messages that isn't there. Then you are feeling indignation at an 'implication' you yourself have constructed.

The doleful question one should ask is does an enemy outrage confer legitimacy on a usurpation? I suppose that conditionally it does. What would you say, though, to the proposition that no small part of the terrorists' calculation involved the economic vulnerability of the U.S. in the wake of the collapse of the new economy bubble and its political vulnerability in the wake of the Florida electoral fiasco?

Might one observe that airport security has been shown, like Florida voting and the dot.com boom, to be an elaborate charade -- a technological Potemkin village? What would be required for an effective fight against terrorism? How about democracy in the U.S.A.? How about economic & social democracy in the U.S.A.?

Tom Walker Bowen Island, BC 604 947 2213