Hi-jack fall-out

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 12 06:25:09 PDT 2001

The manner in which Nathan has cut this implies that he is responding to some remarks I have made. None of my remarks remain. Nathan is replying to remarks made by Yoshie I believe. However I agree with Yoshie. I dont see how Nathan's remarks even relate to the issues raised. He refuses to recognise the symbolic importance of the act to those without jets and weapons of mass destruction but subject to the power of a superpower and its allies. His idea of rationality would be some utilitarian calculation of means to ends. If this is the work of islamic fundamentalist it makes no sense to think of the action in these terms. Think of Kant's view that it is better that the whole world perish than than one murderer not be punished with death--or something like that. Now Kant was not exactly an enemy of reason or rationality but this would seem to be out of proportion.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Nathan Newman <nathan at newman.org> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 6:30 AM Subject: Re: Hi-jack fall-out